Prevent Falls by Being Mindful While Walking
The Snow and Ice Management Association provided a list of tips to keep you safe while walking in snow and ice.
It seems kind of obvious. When the streets are slippery and cars slow down to avoid sliding, we need to pay more attention to the way in which we walk as well.
"Every winter the hazards of driving in snow and icy conditions are noted, but rarely is walking on snow and ice addressed," Martin B. Tirado, CAE, Executive Director of the Snow & Ice Management Association said in a written release. "Slipping and falling while walking accounts for a large number of winter-related injuries and can have an impact on the quality of life for the injured person."
When the ground is icy or slippery, there are things you can do that will lessen your probability of falling.
- Wear the right shoes: Shoes with visible treads and a flat bottom are the way to go.
- Wear sunglasses and bright colors: Snow creates a reflective surface for the sun. Wearing sunglasses will help you to see. Wearing bright clothing helps drivers to see you when you are on foot.
- Look up, not down: When walking, walk consciously. If you are looking forward, you will see where your feet are going and will be able to anticipate an icy or uneven surface. This will also keep you more aware of your surroundings in regards to vehicles or other potential hazards. Additionally, pay attention for thin sheets of ice that may appear as wet pavement (black ice). Often ice will appear in the morning, in shady spots or where the sun shines during the day and melted snow refreezes at night.
- Walk slowly and enter buildings carefully: Walk slowly and if there is a handrail available, use it. When you enter buildings, watch for spots of water than can make the floors of the building slippery.
- Be careful when you shift your weight: When stepping off a curb or getting into a car, be careful since shifting your weight may cause an imbalance and result in a fall.
Founded in 1996, the Snow & Ice Management Association is the nation's trade association for professionals involved with the snow & ice industry including snow plowing as well as commercial & residential snow removal.