Outdoor Fireplace Causes Blaze, Displaces Residents
Plainfield firefighters responded to the second fire of the day in the same unincorporated area of Joliet.
An outdoor fireplace sparked a fire that badly damaged a home less than a mile away from a similar blaze that displaced another family Friday afternoon.
Plainfield Deputy Fire Chief Jon Stratton said a 911 call came in around 9 p.m. after a fire in an outdoor chimney breached a firewall and started a fire in the attic at 3118 Tyler Drive.
Stratton said people sitting in the back yard of the home noticed something was amiss after lighting a fire in the external fireplace.
“They noticed some lights flickering” in the house, Stratton said. After checking the attic and discovering flames, one of the people called 911, he said.
Stratton said the fire was similar to a blaze six hours earlier in the 1900 block of Heather Lane. In that incident, fire officials believe an indoor fireplace was the culprit, sparking a fire that also moved into the attic, causing extensive damage.
This time around, the Tyler Drive fire was caused by an external fireplace that was attached to the house, Stratton said.
No one was hurt in either incident.
As in the earlier Heather Lane fire, Stratton estimated damage at $75,000 to $80,000, plus the loss of much of the contents of the home.
Stratton said it was too soon to tell how soon the residents can move back into the home.
“We talked to them and they said they didn’t need anything from us or the Red Cross,” Stratton noted, saying the homeowner would likely be staying with family.