5 Things to Do This Week: Watch a Play, a Race or Listen to Music
Looking for something to do this weekend? We've gathered five local events that are well worth your consideration.
- TAKING CARE OF BASEBALL BUSINESS: Need a family-friendly event to attend on Friday night? The Joliet Slammers are playing, it's Friday night fireworks and Elvis night at Silver Cross Stadium. Also, if you bring a school supply and donate it at the Patch table, you will get a Patch prize and help out a student in Joliet School District 86.
- SUPPORT THE LOCAL ARTS: Friday is opening night for the Joliet Drama Guild's presentation of Lucky Stiff. The show is performed at Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park, Aug. 17 to 19 and again Aug. 24 to 26. Friday and Saturday performances begin at 8 p.m. The Sunday matinee is 2 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $13 for seniors and students.
- GET A DEAL;HELP A FAMILY: A garage sale that begins at 8 a.m. Friday will help a local Joliet family. The sale, at 700 Winterberry Court, takes place form 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and All proceeds will go to the medical or financial expenses of C. Lockhart.
- CLASSIC CARS; FAST SPEEDS: Starting at 9 a.m., Saturday, Route 66 Raceway will be the location for classic cars to race. The event is $20 per person, but kids 12 and younger are free. For more information, visit the event page.
- ONLY TWO CONCERTS LEFT: On Aug. 23, you can enjoy the sounds of the Joliet Central High School Marching Band and the Midwest Crossroads Chorus of Sweet Adelines International, as well as a performance from the Keigher Academy of Irish Dance. The concerts are free and begin at 6:30 p.m., at Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park, 201 W. Jefferson Street.